Tuesday, 17 April 2012

Feeling Overwhelmed?


Ever have one of those days (or weeks, or months) where you are just overwhelmed?  Life has turned upside down and you don’t think you can handle it all?  Struggling to stay afloat yourself, you don’t feel like serving others. You struggle to see God’s goodness in the “juggling” of your day. Life is too much and you just want to sleep for days.

To one degree, that’s where I’ve been tempted the past few weeks. I'm in the process of moving and have found my life completely thrown upside down.  Clothes and cans of food are in boxes, finding a basic everyday need is now a frustrating hassle. I’ve been angry a lot. I’ve struggled with the fact that God knows just what I need to start this season of my life well, and yet I find myself struggling with bitterness, anger and exhaustion. I want to hide from the world. I’ve spent a lot of time asking God what my response should be. I’m called to love my enemies. What about the times when I’m just tired and want to sleep? Do I have to care and serve then?  yes. What about when my plans are continually interrupted? Can I trust God’s control over my life then?  yes. But how do I do this?  I am one person and honestly don’t have the strength to do it all. That’s where I’m grateful for God’s promises…  it’s what I need to cling to at times like this when I am tempted to feel overwhelmed…

 God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.  Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.  (Psalm 46:1-3)

My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken. (Psalm 62:1-2)

No matter the season, no matter the events of the day, I can trust my God.  He is the foundation upon which everything else is built. So, with confidence I can both rest and walk forward knowing that my foundation is sure and my God is always faithful.

                                       ~Grace~

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful, encouraging post! Thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post! And yes I have felt that way! Too often, I'm afraid. But just yesterday I realize that....Using your life to serve God and others is the surest way to lifelong happiness and contentment. Yes, there are going to be those bad days because we are human. But if we keep our eyes focused on God and His will for our lives we will be just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post! I know how you feel, we moved a couple months ago and it was really hard! I will pray for you!

    and thank you for commenting on my blog (on the "Trip over to South Carolina") That's totally awesome you want to go there for college too! I think coffee would VERY much be in order!!:)

    and yes I call my sister's boyfriend her "man friend"...because "boyfriend" still sounds to weird to me! haha!!

    love, love, love your glasses too!

    ~Kelsie:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The LORD is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O LORD, have not forsaken those who seek you." -Psalm 9:9-10 (ESV)

    ReplyDelete